- Ozone eliminates mycotoxins and pathogens.
- Ozone gas does not leave residues.
- Ozone saves money over a longer period of time than any other alternative.
- Ozone is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) for use in food processing.
- lower bacterial levels in cold storage rooms
- Safe for the environment
- Increase the products shelf life
Ozone for Cold Rooms
Food producers are always looking for effective and economical ways to store food and extend the shelf life of their products. Cold rooms are one of the most common methods of preserving fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish. However, Cool storage is expensive and energy-intensive. In addition, is not the most effective method. In fact, refrigeration does not destroy microorganisms. Food is still susceptible to microbial growth, fungi decay, and pests in storage. The use of ozone gas for cold storage is an excellent alternative. It inactivates microorganisms in fresh products, such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and many other food products Ozone is a highly effective and economical method to store food and extend its shelf life.
Treatment with ozone is the most effective, economical, and practical solution for food storage. The use of an ozone system in cold rooms keeps the air germ-free and prevents the growth of mold and fungus. Several studies show that ozone is effective against numerous harmful food pathogens and extends the shelf life of food.
Advantages of Ozone in Cold Storage Rooms
Ozone systems in cold storage offer several benefits. Ozone is a powerful disinfectant with antimicrobial properties that can effectively inactivate bacterial spores, molds, yeasts, protozoa, and viruses. By using ozone, cold room operators can reduce their reliance on chemical disinfectants, minimize waste, and save energy. The ozone system has been shown to improve food safety and extend the shelf life of many types of foods such as sea foods, meats, fruits, and vegetables during storage and processing. Another key advantage of ozone is that it leaves no residue and does not affect the taste, smell, or quality of stored food. Ozone systems are easy to install in the existing air handling system of cold storage. With the Absolute Ozone system, the cost of the equipment can be quickly recovered because ozone help to minimize food waste and reduce the need for frequent restocking, which can save money and reduce operating costs.
What is Ozone and How Does it Work?
Ozone is a naturally occurring gas that can be generated artificially for use in various applications, including food safety and preservation in cold storage. Ozone is a highly reactive gas and can be used to eliminate odors, mold, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms that can grow in cold rooms and pose a risk to food safety.
Ozone is generated by recombining oxygen molecules, creating ozone molecules that can then be released into the cold room. Once in the cold room, the ozone gas will react with any organic matter they encounter, such as bacteria, mold, or odors. Ozone molecules contain an extra oxygen atom, which can bond with organic matter and break it down into harmless byproducts, such as carbon dioxide and water.
Ozone can also be used to remove ethylene gas in cold rooms. Ethylene is a natural gas that is produced by fruits and vegetables during the ripening process. Ethylene gas can cause accelerated ripening and spoilage of nearby produce and can also affect the taste, texture, and appearance of fruits and vegetables. Ozone is an effective way to remove ethylene gas in cold rooms. It oxidizes ethylene, breaking it down into carbon dioxide and water. By removing ethylene gas, ozone can help to slow down the ripening process and extend the shelf life of fruits and vegetables. It can also help maintain the quality and freshness of stored produce.
How to Use Ozone in Cold Rooms
Here are some general steps on how to use ozone systems:
- Determine the appropriate ozone concentration: The concentration of ozone needed to be effective depends on the size of the cold room and the intended use, it generally ranges from 0.1 to 0.3 parts per million (ppm).
- Choose the appropriate ozone generator: There are many types of ozone generators available on the market, ranging from small portable units to large, industrial-sized generators. Choose a generator that is appropriate for the size of the cold room and the intended use.
- Let the ozone work: Allow the ozone to circulate in the cold room for the recommended amount of time. The duration of the treatment will depend on the size of the cold room and the intended use.
- Ventilate the cold room: After the treatment is complete, ventilate the cold room to remove any residual ozone. Open all doors and windows and use fans to circulate fresh air throughout the space. Ensure that the ozone concentration is safe before re-entering it.
Ozone can be used to improve the storage and shelf life of various products in cold rooms. For example, ozone can sterilize meat and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. It can also reduce losses due to deterioration and improve the meat’s tenderness and shelf life. In the case of fish, ozone can eliminate microorganisms in cold storage rooms, preventing food putrefaction and illness in consumers. It can also deodorize the fish, reduce ammonia emissions, stabilize the pH, and extend its shelf life. For fruits and vegetables, ozone gas can control ethylene production, delaying natural ripening and oxidizing it into an antimicrobial compound. It can also leave fruits and vegetables free of pathogens and chemical residues. In the egg industry, ozone can prevent the appearance of fungi, ensuring the preservation of their initial organoleptic characteristics. Lastly, in cheese conservation and maturation chambers, ozone can prevent the appearance of mold, reduce weight loss, and eliminate odors.
Absolute Ozone® will be happy to help you, We offer a unique 5-year performance warranty and provide unlimited assistance to assure that our client’s cold storage facility is effective. Our knowledgeable team will help you with:
- Selecting the Right Size Absolute Ozone® Ozone Generator for Your Ozone Bottling Application
- Supply the oxygen concentrator or help choose the correct oxygen supply by ensuring you have the correct air preparation/feed gas.
- Supply all necessary accessories such as online monitoring and control equipment.
- Help with a complete initial design, installation guidance, and process details with maximum profitability.
- Provide full technical support from expert application engineers every step of the way, before installation and throughout the years.
Contact us now, our staff will help you explore all the possibilities that ozone can offer your cold storage facility.