Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Ozone for Vertical Farming
Ozone for vertical farming is an excellent organic fungicide and biocide. In addition to its high efficiency and the advantages of not leaving chemical residues on the leaves, ozone help root and plant growth and increases dissolved oxygen in plants.
About 90% of the water used worldwide is for agriculture. Ozone helps reduce the amount of water used and helps inactivate viruses and bacteria. Also, help to reduce the use of pesticides and reduce crop losses.
Ozone water is water that has been treated with ozone, a naturally occurring gas that has powerful disinfectant properties. Ozone is a highly reactive molecule that can kill bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, making it an effective alternative to traditional water treatments that use chemicals.
Common problems in Vertical Farming
- Algae, plants material, soils, nutrient build-up
- Bacteria and pathogens begin to grow in a protected environment
- Plant yield deteriorates
- Fouling increases
Applications of Ozone in Horticulture
The horticulture industry is now realizing the benefits of ozone. Farmers are now beginning to use an ozone water treatment to disinfect water (recycled or fresh). Ozone treatment is an alternative for water disinfection with less impact on the environment. Also, ozone water is used to increase production yield, and to prevent the possibility of contamination of irrigation water.
Some applications of ozonated water in horticulture are:
- Irrigation to kill bacteria and microorganisms which damage the plant since its germination stage and the removal of molds, root rot, and fungi
- Pretreatment (sterilization) of soils before sowing
- Immersion of soil pots in ozonated water for disinfection of cuttings
- Treatment of water used for irrigation to remove algae, heavy metals (such as iron and manganese), and related bacteria (e.g. iron bacteria, mangano-bacteria, etc.) present in artificial basins and maximum reuse of water
- Greenhouse spraying for the reduction and elimination of insects and pests;
- Washing of fruits and vegetables, to ensure maximum hygiene and prolongation of their freshness and shelf life after harvest;
Ozone advantages for vertical farming
When ozonated water is used for plant growth, the ozone works to promote healthy root development, reduce plant stress, and increase overall plant vitality. This is because ozone helps to increase the availability of oxygen in the soil, which is essential for plant growth. The increased oxygen levels also help to reduce the number of harmful bacteria and fungi in the soil, which can cause plant diseases.
There are several advantages to using ozone for vertical farming:
- Strong Oxidant, a lower ozone dosage for a short reaction time in the irrigation is enough to control mold, yeast, and bacteria.
- No residual, and there is no need for a stabilizer or extra filtration stages.
- Increases O2 levels.
- Increased absorption.
- Reduced feeding.
- Reduced amount of freshwater.
- Reduced risk of disease.
In conclusion, ozonated water can be a valuable tool for gardeners looking to promote healthy plant growth and reduce the risk of disease. Whether you’re growing tomato plants or any other type of plant, ozonated water can help to improve root development, reduce plant stress, and increase overall plant vitality. Just be sure to handle ozone properly and follow the recommended ozone water treatments for the best results.
Contact us to get more information.